Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Standards

I remember a few people who I thought had too high standards on potential mates. I thought they should lower the standards and get together with someone already. I thought that you shouldn't be too picky when it comes to relationships. I used to think that anything could be good. When you have low standards it's easy to get a girlfriend since just about anyone will suit you. It's not always about them being bad people, most of the time I think it's about them being bad for you specifically. 

I've been thinking a lot about this with the standards we have and impose on others, the standards we impose on ourselves and how they compare to each other. 

I think high standards are good when it comes to potential mates. I mean you do want to be happy, you want a relationship to benefit both. I think it's important to have an understanding of what you consider important. Those things that filter out a lot of harmful people. 

I'd say you should have high standards and live up to them yourself, taken into account that we are flawed beings. A clear view of what standards you have could be very helpful in the initial stages of a relationship. It is not wise to get a girlfriend and then start thinking about what standards you have and what you want in a relationship. I mean if the person is simply not the right person for you then it's a lot harder breaking it off. I know from experience.

I've gotten into relationships with strangers a lot and it's given me a lot more heartbreak than it was worth most of the time. I've wasted a lot of time and energy on relationships that haven't been worth it. I simply didn't know what I was getting myself into. When I got an understanding of what I had gotten myself into I didn't want to get out of it.

There is a lot more to say about this subject and a lot more detail one could go into but it's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment