Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Philippines

So here I am, in the Philippines, in the heat. Much has happened. I've seen a completely new world out here. People who think completely differently from how we do. I haven't really gotten too close to to people here. I haven't really felt like getting to know them.. It's not that it's anything wrong with them but I just prefer to keep my distance and a bit more to myself. Even in the team I keep a bit to myself. I'm not really a part of the team, I'm just there with them.

Here I'm not treated like the others. People would go like "hey, americanos" to the others but they wouldn't really care about me. So I feel quite left out. But what can I do? Being brown has it's consequences.

I don't quite know how to react to the fact that people around me seem to have little faith in me. How some may "panic" at the thought of teaming up with me when going out and doing missionary work. I don't understand how it could be so dangerous? But I guess I'm just not that trustworthy in peoples eyes.

I really feel the need to speak with someone but I don't know who that would be. I don't know the team well enough to share my thoughts with them.

Some people are so locked down in their own way of doing things they leave no place for change. And when others do differently they get irritated. What's the big deal?

I'm surprised at the level of complaining and the number of insignificant thing there seems to be to complain about. No wonder people in scandinavia are so depressed. If everyone complains about everything all the time of course there's no room for happiness. I think the world needs to lighten up. Why complain about every little thing that isn't comfortable. I feel this is one of the big reasons people are sad and miserable. Because they focus on everything that's wrong. Compared to here I feel people should just keep quiet about all of their endless problems and think more about others. Is it not in others we find happiness in the end? People are so self-centered.

But I guess it's only me who tries to be optimistic, or so it seems anyway. Anyone out there to prove me wrong? (it's not a rhetorical question, it's meant to be answered)

I've seen things happen that I've never before witnessed. People regaining hearing after we've prayed for them. Since we came here I've felt this strange energy from within me. An energy which I can only describe as white. When I close my eyes and focus on it I imagine it. I see how this white essence flow through people and driving away the darkness within. It's really an experience.

I know that when I come home my problems will still be there waiting for me. I don't think anything will have changed after this holiday. I expect to come home to the same situations. The thing is I still don't know what to do, I have yet to be enlightened. How does one solve a problem such as this? It would be easier if people were willing to listen and act. All they seem to do is listen, if even that. I have no influence there.

It's hard keeping relationships alive. I mean those that really have a difference in life. I have to say my relationships have more or less died out. Where in the world will I find the motivation to revive them and then keep them alive? It would surely be something I would have to to by my self. Like most things. People aren't really there for me. So it's hard for me keeping them close. I'm still always there for them, in hope there will be a change. But I'm doubtful. I'm not that important. People won't do anything for me, why would they?

Also there's no telling people about my feeling since they only get hurt by the fact you don't completely like everything they do and that you think they're doing things that only hurt themselves and others around them. Most of these people can't take such feedback. I feel like I'm not able to be honest so it's better if I say nothing at all.

Now how's that for existence?

2 comments:

  1. Oj Alan. FÖr de första så är du precis lika bra som alla andra som är där i Philippinerna och det är jättetråkigt att läsa att du känner dig utanför o sådär... Men jag vet int, kanske du måst ansträng dig lite extra för att kom in i gruppen lite mer? Försök kanske... Men jag förstår att det är jobbigt... Int vet jag riktigt vad man ska gör heller, kanske nämna de ti någon?
    De andra. Det är jättebra att du alltid försöker va så optimistisk osv, men int är du ju enda där heller. Man gör väl så gott man kan, men alla gånger håller de ju int. Ditt inlägg här va ju int speciellt optimistiskt heller, men de e ju okej, för man kan ju int alltid va de, men orkar ju int. Men du ska nog veta att andra än du också vill och försöker, men det räcker int alltid till. Speciellt jag har alltid massor skuldkänslor, men det känns som ingenting jag gör får dig att tro på mig och allt de jag säger. Samtidigt känns de som min tid aldrig vill räcka till, och de e jag jätte stressad över. Men jag hoppas du förstår att jag e där för dig, jag ha allti vari de och jag kommer allti ti va de också. Du e som en bror för mig, och jag vill finnas vid din sida! Jag är en person som tänker väldigt mycke, som du vet, och när du berättar saker för mig som jag gjort och gör fel så kan jag bli lite irriterad för att jag e dålig på att ta kritik, men sedan efteråt tänker jag på dehär sakerna och bearbetar dem alltid. Så de du säger far nog in och gör nytta, så va int rädd för att säg sånt du tycker.
    Förlåt om du tycker jag är en dålig vän, men de e väl så jag e då, jag förstår mig int riktigt på mig själv just nu. Men du e jättebra Alan, kämp på där nu så hoppas jag att de blir bra! Jag saknar dig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the faith in yourself, you're doing an amazing thing just being over there. Also know that people ( ME) miss you here at home. That always counts for something.

    ReplyDelete